EU Citizen registration certificate


This section contains the conditions for the exercise of rights of entry and exit, free movement, stay, residence, permanent residence and work in Spain by citizens of other Member States of the European Union (Germany, Austria , Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Denmark, Slovenia, Spain, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Czech Republic, Slovak Republic, Romania and Sweden), of the remaining States party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area (Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) and of the nationals of the Swiss Confederation, as well as the limitations to the above rights for reasons of public order, public security or public health.


Issuance and validity of the registration certificate and residence card

The issuance of the registration certificate or the residence card will be carried out using the official forms (EX-18 and EX-19) and after payment of the corresponding fee, in banks, savings banks and credit cooperatives, by presenting the entry document.
In any case, the validity of the registration certificates and residence cards and their replacement by a document proving permanent residence or a permanent residence card, respectively, will be conditioned on the fact that their holder continues to be in one of the the assumptions that give the right to obtain it. Interested parties must report any changes in circumstances regarding their nationality, marital status or domicile to the Foreigners Office of the province where they reside or, failing that, to the corresponding Police Station.
The validity of the residence card of a relative of a citizen of the Union will expire for absences of more than six months in a year. However, said validity will not be affected by absences of a longer duration from Spanish territory that are proven to be due to the fulfillment of military obligations or that do not last more than twelve consecutive months and are due to reasons of pregnancy, childbirth, postpartum , serious illness, studies, professional training, or transfers for professional reasons to another Member State or to a third country.
This expiration due to absence will not apply to the holders of a family member card of a citizen of the Union linked through an employment relationship to non-governmental organizations, foundations or associations, registered in the corresponding general registry and officially recognized of public utility as cooperators, and that they carry out for those research, development cooperation or humanitarian aid projects carried out abroad.

Neither will it apply to the holders of said card who remain in the territory of another Member State of the European Union to carry out temporary study programs promoted by the Union itself.

Without prejudice to the obligation of citizens of the Member States of the European Union and of the other States party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area, as well as their relatives, to request and obtain the registration certificate or residence card and their corresponding renewals, they may prove to be beneficiaries of the community regime by any means of proof admitted by law.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.